It's very hot in Chicago

We don't have central air, just a window unit, which we are using to make the bedroom and adjoining sewing/ computer room habitable. The Fool has taken to his bed with his knitting, the stockinette sweater, and refuses to spend time keeping me company in the (un-air-conditioned) dining room, where I am sewing a pirate shirt. Don't ask. It's just one of those projects that needs to be done.
I showed him how to do a three-needle bindoff on one of the shoulder seams of his wee sweater, and he is so pleased with it that he sits petting it and otherwise getting cuddly with the little slip of stockinette.
The heat makes me a little irritable, so when I muttered something about, "Why don't you quit fondling that and actually knit the other front half?" he got snippy and said he'd throw it on the floor and roll on it if he wanted to; it was his knitting.
The weather better cool off soon.

Comments

rho said…
I think this is my first post even though I have been reading for awhile -- but I sooo understand the whole it is to stinking hot thing...we are all cranky beyond belief. Sitting here in the living room with ceiling fan, window fan and oscillating fan going-the window unit in the bedroom only is enough for the bedroom....
Jeanne said…
Our first house didn't have AC, and we couldn't put in window units because of the style of window...so I can appreciate your post. We finally put it in a year before we moved, and this house has it. I can't imagine knitting anything and not having it.
Mauren Mureaux said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mauren Mureaux said…
Ugh! No A/C here in Maryland either. I've also taken to my bed with my knitting. The window fan and ceiling fan are groaning with over-use...too bad for them, i need the air circulation to keep on knitting the wool.

When it gets too hot i switch from the shawl to socks, they're smaller and take up no lap space. Whew!

Tomorrow and the next few days i'm off to the library for the over 90 degree heat!! I think i'll be less cranky there!

Ice-pops...they cool the inner core, and are cheap. ;)

~Suz~
Faith said…
Until this year, I've lived every summer without AC, and it's rough! Hope it cools off soon for ya. =)
Aidan said…
I remember when I lived without AC -- I worked nights, so I was home during the heat of the day. I used to get in the tub and run cool water in to fill it up. Alas, you really can't knit in the tub -- I tried -- but you can read in the tub reasonably well. I remember reading Watership Down in the tub. When the water would warm up, I would drain a bit, then add mor cold. Ahh -- it was heaven.

Popular Posts