On my way home from work yesterday, I stopped by the local yarn store to obtain a 32" size 0 circular needle. I had cast on and knit about 4 rounds of the vest (322 stitches per round) on a 40" needle, then I realized that the needle was simply too large, as I was spending more time futzing with the stitches than I did knitting. I'm happy to report that the 32" needle works great!
Unfortunately, I inadvertently knitted a moebius strip and only realized this after nearly completing 6 rounds! Then today, my computer software got corrupted, so I spent most of the day uninstalling and reinstalling this software... which, actually, worked out well, because I was able to knit during all of the waiting time. So now I'm actually ahead of where I was yesterday at this time, and that's that.