Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Ahhh, much better!

Some of you may have noticed the Cabled and Bobbled Hat on my unfinished project list. Well, this got put on the back burner back at the beginning of the year for several reasons. The first was that I started getting massively into socks. The second was that the directions were starting to drive me batty! It is a fiber trends pattern that is broken up into several fragments, which looks essentially like this:

Pattern A:
Row 1: blah
...
Row 16: blah

Pattern B:
Row 1: blah
...
Row 16: blah

Directions:
Row 1 (WS): p5, work Pattern B over 13 stitches, k4, work Pattern A over 7 stitches, p5.
Row 2: k5, work Pattern A over 7 stitches, k4, work Pattern B over 13 stitches, k5.
...
Row 4: blah

Repeat rows 1-4 3 more times (16 rows each), then repeat the 16-row pattern 5 more times.

Not only was I getting frustrated from my eyes bouncing back and forth between sections on every row, I was losing tons of time. Additionally, I was counting my stitches heavily, since following pattern directions like this gives me little sense of how the stitches relate to one another, which increases my chances for mistakes.

I took about an hour last night and converted the whole thing to a chart using universal symbols. I am now amazingly fast and much less frustrated. I should've done this sooner!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I have their Peak Experience pattern and I just pass it by every time when I look at all those directions. Bleah.
Sockbug

the fiddlin' fool said...

You'd think they would have figured out that it would just be a heck of a lot simpler and easier to read with a chart, especially in this case. It's like they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, or... my favorite invented idiom: trying to mow the lawn from the other side of the fence!