So the other day (March 21) in a fit of consumer-culture hysteria, I ordered three books from Amazon. I felt guilty for not supporting my local bookstore. But then I realized that I probably wouldn't find all these books at the same store and I'd have to go hiking from independent bookseller to independent bookseller (which, while not bad in and of itself, is not something I have the time to do these days, unfortuantely), so amazon.com it was.
I ordered the Yarn Harlot's new book, and I ordered Charlene Schurch's new book, and I ordered a book by Kumiko Sudo, which has a pattern for a cicada-shaped pouch in it, because I live with someone who really, really likes the idea of 17-year cicadas, so many that they leave drifts of their nasty, cast-off carapaces on the sidewalk. And maybe he might like a little bag shaped like a cicada to put his knitting in or something. I'll make it in guy colors.
(No, I'm not checking that link; there might be a picture of one of those revolting red-eyed bugs. If it doesn't work, Google "lllinois cicadas" and look for the link put up by the U of I Extension office. That's what I did.)
Point is, Amazon told me it would take them until May 25 to ship me my books. Today, just for grins, I looked at the site again, now that the Harlot and Charlene's books are released. If I ordered those books today, March 27, six days after I actually ordered them, I could get them in two days, not two months.
To rephrase: Ordering early did squat. Has this happened to anyone else? Is Amazon's shipping computer lying to me?
In other business:
1. Knitpicks Options needles - love them. Only I was insane when I ordered a couple to knit socks on, and they are too short.
2. The Blackwater Abbey sweater progresses. I have the two fronts to knit now. Pictures soon.
3. I started knitting a washcloth with some hemp yarn I bought in DC out of curiosity. It's really stiff and crunchy now, but I have hopes it will soften up. More to report on that as the project unfolds.
4. Have another hedgehog on the needles for a small person I will be seeing this weekend ... and don't you know it, I ran out of black eyelash yarn. Grrrrgh.
5. The Fool is off with the Britches tonight, plugging away on his Shetland sweater. Undoubtely, he will provide an illustrated report.