Columbine Peak Socks started

I started Cat Bordhi's Columbine Peak socks today. It features a 12-stitch lace pattern whose shapes resemble mountain tops. I'm using a Regia 4-ply stretch yarn which is dyed kind of psychidelically, not resulting in anything as definitive as stripes, but rather more of a color wash. Very neat looking.

I finished the entrelac portion of the entrelac socks yesterday, in time for class 2 of 3 tonight. I have some questions to ask about the color patterning that happens in the rest of the socks.

I'm not really sold on entrelac. Yes, it's addictive, but it's annoyingly addictive... kind of like The Hampster Dance. It's a cool concept, but it's finicky, slow, and a bit kludgy. Not to mention all of those annoying picked up stitches you have to sort of fudge at the corners. It also takes forever to finish a round, and I think my mind likes speed when it comes to rounds per unit of time. I don't know if all of that is worth the look, (which is, admittedly, pretty cool). I'll comment on this when I do the second sock.

I took the liberty of substituting SSK for Sl1 K1 PSSO, which I've gathered is a pretty universal substitute. I wasn't really sure what to substitute for Sl1 K2tog PSSO... (SSSK?), so, that being only at the last stitch on the last row of triangles, I just left it.

The outstanding projects are starting to pile up: the toe-up sock I have to fix, the second stranded sock, the second entrelac sock, and now that I've started the columbine peaks... that's 4 unpaired socks! I have my work cut out for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just ran across your blog in the midwest knitters ring. It's so great to see a man who knits. i actually taught my boyfriend. although he never picked it up again. =0) I'm an obsessed knitter. It's my sanity. I look forward to reading your blog in the future.

Popular Posts