I've made a couple of observations about the differences between how it is supposed to come out and how it is going to come out:
- It will be significantly heavier than the original Rosemarkie. I imagine this is mostly because I used thicker (and possibly denser) yarn than what was called for, but I believe that another factor is that there will be more rows per inch than the original pattern, too.
- Because it will be heavier, it will likely be warmer than the original Rosemarkie. I'm figuring that the 60/40 alpaca/cotton blend will trap about the same amount of air as the Merino wool, maybe a little less.
- The pattern will be wider and shorter than the original, due to fewer stitches per inch and more rows per inch. This means that what is supposed to essentially be a square is going to end up with only rectangular properties.
- The bottom of each armhole will open up faster than the pattern intended (because of the row gauge).
- I will have to knit longer bands around the steeked areas, since my row gauge is different. Therefore I will have to put the buttonholes in different places than where the pattern calls for.