So my wife came to me the other day expressing frustration about grafting the hood of the Rogue Hooded Pullover together. It turns out that it is essentially a rib with the occasional cable. Having never tried to graft purl stitches together, I knitted up two swatches for grafting practice. I didn't really know how to do this, so I took a guess and reversed the mantra to PKKP. It worked beautifully.
So I started the graft on the Rogue, got part way through it, then realized that the cables needed to be crossed at the graft. This confused me a bit, so I did some online research. After a google search and tracking down a few blogs, I befriended PumpkinMama, and she helped me figure out what I needed to do. It turns out that I simply needed to pre-cross my stitches and graft them in the order they appeared.
So here is what it looks like:
Sorry for the blurry image. It was night and the camera didn't want to focus. Anyways, my wife is thrilled, and I'm pretty pleased that I figured this out. I am a bit disappointed with my purl grafts, though, as they are way too tight. This causes a slight "seam" of tight stitches across the hood. Grr. Grafting is supposed to be invisible. My wife says that doesn't matter, but I wonder if she's just being supportive. I could rip it out, but it's a super pain to rip out grafting. I guess I'll just have to more closely monitor my progress next time.
For my next trick, I will graft a fair isle design down the equator so that it perfectly spells "Happy Knitting."