I've been a bit quiet recently. I'm taking a break from KnitML for awhile to give my brain a bit of room to explore some new things.

In the meantime, I thought I would post an in-progress picture of Jamie's 18-month sweater.


Both an up-close picture...


And a holistic picture.

I like this pattern so far for a few reasons:
  1. Stranded knitting: woohoo!
  2. Steeks are always exciting... and I mean that sincerely.
  3. Once the pattern is established, I don't need to refer to the pattern to see how to knit the next row.
  4. I learned that Norwegian knitting is symmetrical across an axis (unlike Fair Isle).
  5. I'm a sucker for blues and greens.
  6. It looks a lot harder than it is.
I just hope that Jamie likes it. Maybe he'll be verbal by the time he fits into it.

Comments

Chery said…
I love your knitting and the stories you and Meg tell of your adventures. Thanks for sharing.
LaurieM said…
It looks great so far!

I too enjoy a nice steek. They make some tricky things so much easier. Are you planning on securing the steeks of that slippery Dale yarn before cutting? If so how? I'd be tempted to sew it for maximum security, but maybe a pick up and knit is sufficient. Does the pattern have any recommendations?
=Tamar said…
Fair Isle can be symmetrical across an axis. It just depends on how you arrange it. The sweater is beautiful, and I'm not saying that just because I love blue.
LaurieM, I haven't really given much thought about securing the steeks. If I do, I'll probably backstitch up each side. That did the trick for the Starmore fair isle I did a few years back.

Dale patterns are devoid of instructions like that. In fact, they are often just devoid of instructions in general. They are remarkably efficient at condensing information, but it does leave some things to be desired. When I did the Dale frog sweater, the instructions simply said "work raglan for sleeves." Not being a sweater expert, I had no idea what this meant and needed to ask Meg. Concise patterns like this could greatly benefit from KnitML. The designer could keep the brevity but the knitter would have the option to get more information about a particular part of the pattern.

=Tamar, what I meant was that Norwegian is symmetrical across a great big axis, such as the center of the sweater. Yes, you can get Fair Isle to do the same if the atomic repeat itself is symmetrical and placed correctly. From what I understand, you'd never simply reverse the direction of an aymmetrical atomic repeat on the other side of the great big axis.
LaurieM said…
I feel much more secure with steeks in a sheltand yarn, like your Starmore, than I would in a superwash like Dale. Backstitching sounds like an excellent idea.
anne marie in philly said…
VERY nice, J!

I hope jamie will appreciate the effort daddy is making just for him.

jamie is one lucky baby! and this time last year you were waiting for him...

Popular Posts