Fantastic Fair Isle Socks


Pattern: Judy's Two Color Kickback Socks (sort of)
Needles: 2 24" Addi Turbos (US 2)
Special Technique: Stranded knitting
Started: May 2005
Completed: June 1, 2005
Recipient: Me

These socks are for my feet and are my first completed pair for myself. I drew from techniques described in Judy's Two-Color Kick Back Cybersocks, an online class on the Socknitters website. So far, these have been my most creative socks. I used my own fair-isle pattern and modified it to fit the striping motif on the sock. I also substituted heel types, opting for a salt-and-pepper heel (which I probably wouldn't do again, as it was a lot of trouble.)

I think I finally loosened up my gauge enough to prevent the puckering I was experiencing on the first sock. As a result, the second sock is a bit bigger than the first, but they still fit.

I used a medium red and medium brown for this sock. They remind me a bit of Boy Scout socks... only with fair-isle patterning! They're nice and cushy and will probably be more like slippers than socks.


You can see the salt-and-pepper heel better a bit closer up.


A closer look at the pattern, adapted from Sheila MacGregor's Fair Isle Patterns book.


Comments

erica said…
Would love to see these socks. Photos, photos, we want photos!
And now you have them.
Pixie said…
I googled "Fair Isle Socks" looking for a site with some pointers and came across your blog -- gorgeous socks!!

Curious if you can answer a question for a total stranger? :) I just ripped back 85% of a sock that I was trying to pattern with a fair isle technique because there was not enough "give" in the patterned portion of the cuff -- any suggestions? I was thinking that I should switch up a needle size when I get to the colorwork?

Popular Posts